So… it’s Monday! Hope yours are off to a good start! Mine was a little weird, in that I got up, showered, got dressed, went to work, and… found that no one else was there. Apparently I missed the memo that we’re not working today… sigh. On the plus side, I now have a bonus day off, but I had a nice productive start to it (went to the post office and mailed about a zillion packages, have dinner already going in the slow cooker, WHAT?) which NEVER happens on a true day off, so it’s kind of win-win!
Since I have extra time today, I thought maybe I’d share with you some of my goals for the new year. You know, I used to do really long, detailed lists of New Year’s resolutions, but I chronically underestimate what I’m capable of, sign myself up for too much,
cry buckets, give up, and feel terrible about myself. So, while I’ve kicked the vicious cycle of resolutions to the curb this year, I’m still feeling a bit more contemplative than usual because, like a few other bloggers out there, I’ll be turning 30 this year (duh duh DUH!). I’m a naturally unorganized person who’s interested in lots of things, so I tend to bounce from one thing to the next as soon as something shiny captures my attention. I’d like to be a bit more intentional and focused so I can feel a little more responsible and grown up about the ways that I use my time, money, and energy. So I’ve put together some goals and projects I’d like to do, to help myself work with a bit more focus and productivity without putting myself under tons of pressure. I’m focusing on sewing stuff here so you won’t have to be too bored with my personal crap.
Making-related stuff I’d like to do this year:
- Take advantage of great resources by making patterns out of the Colette Sewing Handbook and the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook instead of letting them collect dust on the
bookshelfheap of books exploding out of the bookshelf
- Finish my UFO’s (just a couple, really, mainly McCall’s 5995 and my Aidez sweater)
- Become more comfortable with making pattern and fit adjustments
- Make something for Man Friend!
- Organize my sewing space and fabric storage area
- Try my hand at the Clover trousers (eek!)
- Become more comfortable sewing knits
- Make something with buttons and buttonholes instead of being a big chicken!
- Sew and knit things that I actually need and will wear, including tops I can wear to work instead of dirty old t-shirts and a cocktail dress that’s appropriate for work parties, instead of “OOH OMGEEZY THAT’S SO PRETTY I NEED IT NOW!”. I made a few things last year that were great learning projects, but weren’t things that I will get a ton of use out of, so I’d like to be a bit more practical this year.
- Follow along with Gertie’s bombshell class and make myself a fine couture hot ‘n’ spicy dress
- Keep the Seamless pledge!
- Stash-bust, baby!
- Oh, and revamp my blog! I’m not the most tech-savvy, but I’d like to spend some time on the design of the site so it’s a little prettier and more user-friendly.
So yeah… I guess I should take advantage of this unexpected time off and tackle the rest of my organization projects! Unfortunately, this guy is not motivating me to do work:
What are you guys up to today and this week? Oh, don’t forget to stay tuned– I’ll draw the winners for the vintage giveaway tonight!