GUYS. I love this pattern. Have we discussed this? OK, we have, like, maybe 100 times, but I’m sayin’… dudes, you gotta make this thing! It’s basically my favorite ever.
This is a cotton lawn from Lisette’s collection for Jo-Ann Fabrics. I bought it a little over a year ago with a dress in mind, but I’m glad that I used it as a top. Next time I make one of these, I’m going to skip the binding piece included with the pattern and just make my own double-fold bias tape. I’m too clumsy to cleanly attach the binding following Jen’s directions (not that I’m very good at attaching regular bias tape, either…).
If it looks like my Tiny Pocket Tank is missing a tiny pocket this time, it isn’t! I just matched the pattern very, verrrrrrrry carefully! Yay!
What are you guys up to these days? Working on anything fun? I’m just about done with the muslin for my Hazel dress, and hopefully will get one more project finished before the end of the month. We decided on a whim to move, so it’s been super hectic around here lately with packing and all that stuff. Hopefully that will go quickly and smoothly so I can get back to sewing!
Another puggy cameo today! Man Friend’s laundry is still in the same spot.
sweater: J. Crew
top: Grainline’s Tiny Pocket Tank, previously unblogged
necklace: Rare Bird on Etsy
This was my first Tiny Pocket Tank (my second was the top in my Pink Nightmare Pajama set). It’s a lovely pattern, but… I dove headfirst into sewing this, thinking, “eh, it’s a swingy top, no need to muslin!”. Famous last words! The shoulders were way too big, which I decided to fix with a box pleat in the back, but that wasn’t a very elegant solution. And even worse, the armscyes are too tight and ride up in my armpits all. day. long. I need to take off the armhole binding and lower it, but the fabric is pretty sheer and delicate and doesn’t take to seam ripping too well. I did a pretty awful job with the bias binding, too… hopefully it’s not too noticeable.
The fabric was labeled Liberty lawn (totally untrue– unless Liberty is now practically transparent and $8/yard). It’s underlined with yellow cotton batiste that I had in my stash. I was worried that the tank looked too much like PJ’s, but Gail suggested that I wear chunkier accessories with it, and I think that helps.
Despite the issues that I have with this, it’s really a nice pattern and I’m glad that I was able to work out my fitting issues before I made the second version. I’m hoping I can fix this one enough to wear it comfortably because I really do like it. Make one (or four)!